Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Stitching Bloggers' Question of the Week

What tips would you give to a new stitcher to help her stitch faster and neater while still keeping it enjoyable?
First of all, I would tell a new stitcher to count, count, and count again to save time frogging in the long run. If stitching a faitly simple stitch border around, I would tell her to cross every 10th stitch to help her keep track without having to count every few stitches, then go back and stitch back the other way, making sure the count is still coreect as she goes. I would also tell her that stitching the border first is a great way to get a foundation on which to use as a guide for the placement of the stitching inside. Railroading makes a big difference in keeping stitches flat, untwisted, and very neat. Another tip to share with her is not to cut her threads over 18" long to prevent fraying and knotting. The backs shouldn't be dwealt upon, but backs kept neat will also affect the good looks on the front. Using the loop method to start when possible keeps down bulk; also anchoring vertically as well as horizontally sometimes works better in some areas. To keep it enjoyable, practice these tips till they get to be automatic, and the speed will come naturally after a time. Look at the tachniques as a art to be mastered, and it will be more enjoyable than turning out a piece with twisted threads, messes on back, and miscounted mistakes that drive you nuts.
I think I need to follow my own advice, LOL. I have a piece right now on which I'm trying to deal with a counting mistake so that only I will know. My redemption is that it's a gift for my DD, and I know for sure she'll never know the difference.

1 comment :

Cyndi said...

Great tips, Nancy! And I'm stealing one of yours - the one about putting an x every 10 stitches on long rows. Not only am I putting it on MY SBQ, I'm going to start doing it! Thanks!